A forensic psychiatrist is a physician who has training and experience related to the interface between the law and mental health. At the start of the process, information is gathered by evaluating individuals, reviewing records and administering psychological testing.
As a forensic psychiatrist, Dr. Raff communicates his medical opinions in the form of written reports and through expert witness testimony at deposition or trial. Dr. Raff has extensive experience as a psychiatric consultant, examiner, and expert witness in many civil and criminal cases as well as matrimonial/family matters. Dr. Raff has been retained for both plaintiffs and defendants in state and federal matters. Other areas of expertise include: work-related psychiatric examinations such as Fitness for Duty, Psychiatric Disability and Worker’s Compensation. Examples of Dr. Raff’s cases have involved: Personal Injury, Custody andVisitation, Capacity to Stand Trial, Assessment of Dangerousness, Lack of Criminal Responsibility by Reason of Mental Disease or Defect. (Not Guilty by Reason of Insanity).
- In the Bronx Family Court, Dr. Raff assessed hundreds of adolescents and families around issues of Delinquency, Abuse, Neglect and Termination of Parental Rights.
- Dr. Raff served as Director of the Assisted Outpatient Treatment Program (New York State’s Kendra’s Law) at Bellevue Hospital through Riker’s Island.
- Dr. Raff coordinated and testified in petitions for mandated outpatient treatments for numerous inmates upon their release.
- Dr. Raff has participated in over 500 Independent Medical Evaluations, and over 1,000 medical file reviews regarding disability and administrative law issues.
- Dr. Raff carries medical licensure in New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, North Carolina and Florida. He is available for travel on a case by case basis.